Sunday 6 February 2011

Susie's Mum's Shortbread

Recently I've been doing lots of baking and yesterday I decided that I fancied making some shortbread, so I dug out my Mum's recipe and made it. Have to say it tasted as good as I remembered so thought I'd share the recipe with you. Incidentally I have photographed it on my Grandmother's Shelley Tea service, which is over a hundred years old, bringing back lots of childhood memories.

Ingredients - enough for twelve wedges.

175 g plain flour

110g unsalted butter

50g caster sugar

Method

Put softened butter into a mixing bowl.
Add the flour and the sugar and knead with your hands until you have made a dough. This takes about five minutes depending on how soft your butter is.
Roll out the dough on a flat surface to fit into a lined round baking tin (20cm diameter).
Press the mixture down gently into the baking tin and crimp the edges with a fork to make a pattern all the way round, making sure the top is fairly flat.
Prick all over with a fork so that during cooking it doesn't rise.
Put into a heated oven 175° C for 20 minutes then turn the oven down to 150°C for a further fifteen minutes or so, until the shortbread is a light golden brown.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool, gently sprinkling a little caster sugar over the top whilst it is cooling.
When cool remove from the tin and cut into 12 wedges and store in an airtight container.

For a yummy dessert leave the shortbread whole, cover with Creme fraiche or whipped cream and place summer fruits like strawberries and raspberries on top - delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment